Monday, November 10, 2008

Sony Ericsson Xperia X1: A Review

IMG_2471 - Share on Ovi

The Xperia X1 is a beautiful little phone by Sony Ericsson and after using it for a week, I'm happy to say that it has become one of my favourite mobile phones! Watch the video of me talking about some of the best features of the Xperia X1.



There are so many things about the Xperia X1 that I really like but lets start off with its look. The X1 feels very solid in my hand. Its stainless steel body is very well crafted and it looks sophisticated and distinctive thanks to its Arc slider design that hides its wide-pitch QWERTY keyboard. Slide the screen upwards to reveal the keyboard. The keys on the keyboard may be small but I have no problems typing on it. In fact, I love the keyboard!

One thing that makes the Xperia X1 stands out from other Windows Mobile devices is its X1 panels which are active desktops from which you can access features and content. There are nine different panels to choose from and the best thing is you can download additional panels online. I like the panels a lot because they act as a one touch access points to my favourite mobile experiences. For example, I use the Google panel quite a lot because I like the idea of accessing Google search, maps, Picasa, calender and Gmail quickly.

Other features of the Xperia X1 that I like are its 3.2 megapixel camera with selective focus, Google Maps with GPS and the Opera Mobile Browser. The 3.2 mega pixel camera takes very good photos and video clips. I like its touch focus that allows me to set the desired focus location in the viewfinder by tapping the screen before taking the photo. There are several scene modes, auto and night mode, macro, auto and infinite focus settings and a camera light that I can activate for low light shots.

One program that I've been playing with quite a lot is Google Maps. The Xperia X1 is equipped with an A-GPS receiver that uses satellite signals to calculate my location. Combined it with Google Maps, the Xperia X1 can tell me where my location is and how I can get from point A to point B. There's also the Wayfinder Navigator that can be installed from the included CD. It takes you to your destination using voice guides.

Browsing the internet with the Xperia X1 is a really pleasant experience. There are two browsers in the phone: Internet Explorer and Opera Mobile Browser. Using Opera, surfing the net with the X1 is fast, fun and easy. I like the Pan and Zoom feature. Double clicking the screen zooms into my desired content. And of course the Xperia X1's beautiful and bright 3 inch high resolution screen adds to the web experience. Besides browsing the web, I can also chat using the Live Messenger, subscribe to web feeds and receive emails via direct push technology.

IMG_2472 - Share on Ovi

Other good things about the Xperia X1: Good battery life - very good when compared to other Windows Mobile devices, good phone reception and sound quality, programs and OS respond pretty quick, blazing fast 3G performance and surprisingly, the X1 makes a great ebook reader!

Although the Xperia X1 is a very, very good phone, it does have some slight flaws. I had a tough time opening the battery cover. Took me awhile before I "mastered the technique" to open it. Also, I would prefer that the memory card is located at the side of the phone rather than under the battery. I also have a complaint about watching flash videos such as those on YouTube. I use the Opera browser a lot but it doesn't allow me to view Youtube videos. For that, I need to switch to Internet Explorer in order to activate the Streaming Media software.

Previously:
Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 gets unboxed!
Finally got my hands on the Vaio Z and the Xperia X1!
Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 coming soon to Singapore

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are you searching for directions to Changi? Are you not telling us something IZ about your nightly activities there? LOL

Anonymous said...

Good video again IZ but I was expecting to see you in it. :o(

Anonymous said...

Dude I think the Xperia X1 is sold out over at Singtel!

Anonymous said...

What's the memory/disk space of the x1?

Anonymous said...

the panels are just gimmicks imho... without the, it is just another windows media phone.

Anonymous said...

Great review IZ, as usual!

Anonymous said...

It has wifi right?

Anonymous said...

Wooooh! I love your voice, hands, fingers... And those nails!

Anonymous said...

how come your xperia x1 seems faster than the one i have?

Anonymous said...

Hi

I would just like you to know that your video is:

#74 - Most Viewed (Today) - People & Blogs


on Youtube!

Congrats!!!!

Anonymous said...

I've heard stories of people selling away their iPhones for this but I'm not prepared to part with my baby yet. Nice review, btw.

I.Z. Reloaded said...

Rickie: Yes, the Xperia X1 comes with Wifi.

I.Z. Reloaded said...

>What's the memory/disk space of the x1?

Based on the unit that I have now, memory for storage is 281.46 MB and memory for programs is 200.48MB.

The X1 also comes with MicroSD card support.

Anonymous said...

I'm deciding between this and the iPhone.

Anonymous said...

>Ms Secret Admirer said...

Wooooh! I love your voice, hands, fingers... And those nails!

Don't like you!

Anonymous said...

4 out of 5 for the phone and...

5 out of 5 for your review and video!

:o)

Anonymous said...

>the panels are just gimmicks imho... without the, it is just another windows media phone.

nah i think the panels are really good. a little slow at time but its a great idea by sony ericsson.

Anonymous said...

No flash?!

Anonymous said...

Ms Secret Admirer:Wooooh! I love your voice, hands, fingers... And those nails!

Giselle Loh: Don't like you!

I: Crazy ms secret admirer!

Anonymous said...

hey where do u usually download your ebboks?

Anonymous said...

I experienced a similar problem. When I bought my iPhone, I first checked with “Got Reception?” (Gotreception.com) It’s a great resource for finding out where reception problems are most likely to occur BEFORE you lock yourself with a specific carrier.

Featured Post

Singapore Haunted: Top 10 Most Haunted Moments Caught On Camera!

A flying ghost at Changi Hospital, a playful tree spirit at Bedok Reservoir and the ghost of a girl who died at the famous Yellow Tower at...